Opposing Sides Dip
1 (16-ounce) can Great Northern beans, drained
1/2 cup chopped onion, divided
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
2 small garlic cloves, divided
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained
1 (4.5-ounce) can chopped green chiles, drained
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 cup (2 ounces) finely shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
1/4 cup sliced green onion tops
Garlic Pita Chips
- Combine the Great Northern beans, 1/4 cup chopped onion, Parmesan cheese, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and 1 garlic clove in a food processor; process until smooth. Spoon white bean mixture into a bowl on one side; set aside.
- Combine the black beans, 1/4 cup chopped onion, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, 1 garlic clove, chiles, and cumin in a food processor; process until smooth. Spoon black bean mixture into other side of bowl containing white bean mixture.
- Sprinkle cheddar cheese and green onions between 2 bean dips. Serve with Garlic Pita Chips.
12 servings (serving size: about 3 tablespoons dip and 4 chips)
Calories fromfat 13 %
Fat 2.5 g
Sat fat 1 g
Monofat 0.3 g
Polyfat 0.4 g
Protein 7.8 g
Carbohydrate 29.9 g
Fiber 5.4 g
Cholesterol 4 mg
Iron 2.2 mg
Sodium 272 mg
Calcium 111 mg
Recipe and Photo Credited to Cooking Light
- Potato Skins
- 4 small sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Guacamole & Toppings
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup chopped tomato
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion
- Chopped cilantro for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Tightly wrap sweet potatoes in foil and place on a baking sheet. Roast until very tender, 50 minutes to 1 hour. Carefully unwrap and set aside to cool.3Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop out the flesh, leaving a ¼-inch border (save the scooped-out flesh for another use). Place the sweet potato halves skin-side up on the prepared baking sheet. Brush with oil and sprinkle with kosher salt. Bake until browned and crisp, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Cut each skin in half widthwise and return to the baking sheet, skin-side down. Sprinkle each with 1 tablespoon Cheddar. Return to the oven and bake until the cheese is melted, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the guacamole: Mash avocado in a medium bowl. Stir in lime juice, garlic and salt.
- Top each sweet potato skin with guacamole, tomato, onion and cilantro, if desired.
- Serving size: 2 potato skins each
- Per serving: 117 calories; 8 g fat(2 g sat); 3 g fiber; 10 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 26 mcg folate; 7 mg cholesterol; 3 g sugars; 0 g added sugars; 6,370 IU vitamin A; 10 mg vitamin C; 65 mg calcium; 0 mg iron; 113 mg sodium; 302 mg potassium
Recipe and Photo Credited to Eating Well
Todd’s Famous Vegan Pumpkin, Chipotle, Black Bean Chili
- 3 Cans 15 oz Black Beans (Drained and Rinsed)
- 1 15oz Can Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes
- 3 Cloves of Garlic small diced
- 1 Red Onion chopped
- 1 Lime
- 1 15 oz Can of Pumpkin
- 1 TSP of Ground Cumin
- 1 TSP of Ground Thyme
- 1 – 2 TSP of Chipotle Powder (depending on your heat preference)
- 2 TSP of Olive Oil
- 1 Bunch of Cilantro chopped
- Tortilla Chips
- 1 Large Avocado small cubes
- Salt and Pepper
- In a food processor or blender mix the diced tomatoes, 1 can of black beans, chiptole powder, cumin, and thyme till smooth.
- In a large size pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. When hot, place half of the red onion in the pot and saute 2-3 minutes, add garlic. Saute an additional minute.
- Place the blended black bean mixture with the remaining cans of black beans, and can of pumpkin into the pot. Cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Add juice of half of the lime, and half of the cilantro to the pot. Season with Salt and Pepper to taste. Continue Cooking for 5-10 more minutes.
- If the chili is too thick you can add water or vegetable broth.
- Meanwhile, take the remaining onion,lime juice, cilantro and mix with the avocado. Do not smash. Season with Salt and Pepper.
- Top your chili with the avocado mix and Tortilla Chips.
- Serving size: 2 Cups – Serves 4
- Calories – 336, Fat 3.5 Grams, Protein 15.5