Todd was back in the kitchen yesterday, and decided to use up the quinoa from last week. This healthy soup is perfect for a chilly day and it freezes well too! It is vegan as well. If you decide to make this soup, or any of the recipes Todd posts, feel free to take pictures and post on our Facebook feed.
Yield: Serves 10
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups chopped butternut squash
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 cans (14 1/2 oz each) reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cans (15 oz each) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (15 oz) cannelini beans
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 tsp of dried rosemary
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 bunch of fresh spinach, stems removed
- 1 – 2 tbsp of red wine vinegar
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, and celery and cook until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, sweet potato, butternut squash, and bay leaves. Cook until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Stir occasionally so they don’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Add the vegetable broth, tomatoes, and beans. Bring to a boil. Stir in the quinoa and season with rosemary and thyme. Bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes or until quinoa, sweet potato and butternut squash is soft. Stir in the spinach and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Add red wine vinegar. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Serve warm.
Note-this soup freezes well. To freeze, cool completely and pour into a freezer container. When ready to eat, defrost and reheat on the stove or in the microwave.