This delicious meal is great during the fall, and easy to make. It combines black beans, with the smokiness of chiptole, and the smoothness of pumpkin. Enjoy it on your next cold night. This recipe serves 4 people.
Todd’s Black Bean, Chipotle, Pumpkin Chili
- 3 Cans of Black Beans, Rinsed
- 1 Can Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes
- 4 Garlic Cloves, minced
- Chipotle Powder
- Mexican Blend Seasoning
- 1 TBSP of Olive Oil
- 1 Red Onion, diced
- 1 Can of 100% pumpkin
- 1 Large Avocado, cubed
- 1 Bunch of Cilantro, chopped
- S & P to taste
- 1 Lime, Zested and Juiced
- Take 1 Can of Beans, 2 Garlic Cloves, 1 TSP of Mexican Seasoning, 1/8 TSP of chipotle powder, and the Fire Roasted Tomatoes and blend together in a food processor or blender until smooth.
- In a stock pot, heat olive oil over medium high. Add ½ of the red onion and sauté until the onion is sweating. 2-3 minutes. Add the two remaining garlic cloves, cook until fragrant about 30 seconds. Add 1/8 tsp of chipotle powder, 2 tsps. of Mexican seasoning, and 1/4 tsp of cinnamon. Stir until fragrant 30 seconds
- Add the remaining black beans, and the blended black bean mixture to the pot. Stir until combined. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the can of pumpkin. Stir. Simmer for 15 more minutes.
- Add the zest, half of the cilantro and half of the juice of the lime to the pot. Stir. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a small bowl combine the remaining half of lime juice, cilantro, onion, and avocado. Season with S&P
- Serve chili in bowls and top with avocado mixture.